Nanjing Lukou International Airport Spotting GuideFebruary 21, 2019
Oakland International Airport Spotting GuideFebruary 22, 2019
TWA Hotel John F. Kennedy Airport
Retro meets 21. century.
Almost every aviation enthusiast remembers the legendary TWA Flight Center at New York's John F. Kenndy Airport, designed by industrial designer Eero Saarinen and opened on May 28, 1962.
The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2005, preventing it from being demolished.
For almost 16 years, the building was empty but finally there is an end in sight. In December 2016, the terminal was converted into a hotel and the completion is not far away. Bookings are now possible, starting from 15 May 2019.
At the heart of the hotel will be the original TWA Terminal now with the hotels lobby, resaurants and bars. Amenity kits, pen and pad carry the original TWA corporate design and put the guest back in the 60s. Around the former TWA Terminal are two towers with a total of 505 rooms and a conference center. Hotel prices beginning at around 200 USD/night.
Another centerpiece is the 10,000-square-foot rooftop observation deck with a pool and and outstanding view of the ramp action. The area is even accessable for non-hotel guests! Be sure to make a table reservation in advance!
Non-hotel guests can make reservations at The Pool Bar to order refreshments and swim in the pool between 11 AM and 8 PM.
TWA´s former Lockheed Constellation L1649A N8083H, delivered April 1958, is going to join the hotel on a pad.
The TWA-Hotel features
- 512 ultra-quiet guestrooms with exhilarating views of JFK’s runways and the iconic TWA Flight Center
- 50,000 square feet of meeting and event space that can host up to 1,600 people
- 6 restaurants and 8 bars 10,000-square-foot rooftop observation deck with pool
- State of the art 10,000-square-foot fitness facility with yoga, spinning and other amenities
- Museum devoted to the Jet Age, TWA and the midcentury modern design movement
- Classic Solari split-flap message board with authentic original mechanical operation manufactured in Udine, Italy
Bookings and all necessary infos can be found on the official website.
Picture copyright TWA Hotel