Frequently asked questions
PLEASE JUST CONTACT US IF YOU ARE REALLY INTERESTED IN SUPPORTING US WITH YOUR SPOTTING GUIDE!!!
Variety: This is pretty simple. How many different airlines serve an airport and how regular. Is an airport dominated by a single airline, that much lower is the number of the stars. For example; Atlanta or Dallas Fort/Worth are dominated each by a single airline. This means just a few stars. Antalya or Barcelona on the other side, have a wide variety of carriers and are not only dominated by two or three airlines. That means a higher rating.
Photo Locations: There are many factors that influence this rating:
- Quality: That means how close you are to the planes (a high focal length is not the best circumstance) and are there any disturbing factors like a fence or light poles which makes the photography difficult.
- Usability: Do the different spots cover all runway movements or is there a lack, where it is impossible to take pictures and you will miss some movements?
- Accessibility: Is it easy to reach the spot, even by public transport? Is it next to a road where you can park your car? Is it on a field in the middle of nowhere and you have to walk a couple of minutes?
- Surroundings: Are there Restrooms and Food Stations close to it? Is there a possibility to sit down and do you feel fairly comfortable?
- Weather protection: Is there a chance to find protection for the hot sun or a rain shower?
Weather: we are using the total sun hours within a year for our weather rating. Sometimes we adjust the rating if there is a lot of smog/dust over the city like in BKK, LAX or PEK.
- 1 star: < 1.250 hours
- 2 stars: 1.251 - 2.000 hours
- 3 stars: 2.001 - 2.500 hours
- 4 stars: 2.501 - 3.250 hours
- 5 stars: > 3.250 hours